Thursday, September 3, 2009

#12-Not Katy Perry (sorta)



It was the spring of 2008, and the smells of summer were just around the corner. And I was standing in a circle of young people in the halls of my church. And out of the corner of my ear I heard those now infamous lines sung, "I kissed a girl and I liked it" from a 16 year old boy.

Upon questioning the usage of the line, I found out that I was hearing an imitation of a very popular pop song on the radio. I didn't understand what was so catchy about that line...until I heard from another friend that the song was sung by a girl. And then everything made sense....

Needless to say, it was the hotbed issue to preach against at every youth service, youth rally, and youth camp that following summer....Katy Perry was worse than the Bloodhound Gang.

But then we were put in an awkward spot when the rumor broke out that Katy Perry grew up Pentecostal which can be read about here. And for some strange reason, we are very quick to forgive the sins and immorality of celebrities if they have pentecostal roots or any attachment to pentecost and may have spoke in tongues. Nevermind that Katy Perry likes kissing girls, she was once one of us, so who cares? (And yes Kings of Leon will be discussed under this same theory later on).

(For the record I have heard that Katy perry song maybe twice in my life, and don't even know if she has other hits though I continually hear her name tossed around.)

1 comment:

  1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1046018/Shameful-disgusting-The-No1-song-sparked-outrage--singers-parents.html

    ReplyDelete