Friday, September 11, 2009

#34- Not Felt Boards to Teach Sunday School Lessons

As we take another trip back to the "good ole days" of Sunday School lore, I ask us to pay respect to one of the greatest teaching tools in Sunday School history....

THE FELT BOARD!

For those of you who are not familiar with felt boards let me explain it like this:

It was kind of like a one page picture book where instead of flipping pages to see the pictures change that describe a Sunday School Story, one can simply move the characters around with the felt board background (and the characters would stick to the board)......And for a few Sunday School teachers, the felt board was the main method to teach us children...

I could understand using this method in the 1940's when the world was in black & white and felt boards were like the new technology then, but why were they still being used when I was growing up in the late 80's, early 90's?

Seriously, I had Charleston Heston to act out the Moses story to me via video, and also McGee and Me (future post) which combined live action with an elf cartoon to teach me about Christian Value...what on earth did felt board Sunday School Lessons add to my life that would be beneficial to mine or anyone's learning capacity learning capacity?

My imaginative mind did a better job of envisioning bible stories than the emotionally stable faces of the felt board characters...

And to top it off, it was the felt boards that taught me that Jesus was white and that he always wore white to demonstrate his superiority over the racially mixed audience to whom he was addressing in the felt board stories.....

Sometimes I wonder if the Sunday School Teachers were using felt boards to teach themselves about the story instead of the children.....

1 comment:

  1. Okay I ALWAYS hated the felt boards growing up!!! My kids get something SO much more exciting...Me ACTING it out!!! OMW! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete